Individual Tax Return Checklist
- Sign Engagement Letter & Complete Tax Organizer – We’ll send these through our Client Portal.
- Driver’s Licenses – Please include a picture of your current driver’s license or we can scan it at the office.
- Prior Year Tax Return (New Clients) – If you are new to Dow Tax, please include a copy of your prior-year tax return.
- Stimulus Payments – These payments are not taxable, but are required to be reported on every 2020 tax return to ensure you received as much as you are allowed. Nobody will have to pay back any previous amount received, but some may qualify for an additional payment (for a new baby, for example).
- Interest Income
- Pensions, Retirement Account Withdrawals or Rollovers
- Social Security Income
- Stock Sales
- Alimony Received
- Schedule C Business/1099 Income
- Rental Property
- Sale of Real estate
- Ownership in Partnership or S Corporation
- Schedule F Farming Business
- Unemployment Income
- Other Miscellaneous Income
- Educator Expenses
- Moving Expenses for members of the Armed Forces
- IRA or SEP Contributions
- Alimony Paid
- Student Loan Interest
- Medical Expenses
- Property Taxes
- Mortgage Interest
- Mortgage Insurance Premiums
- Investment Interest
- Charitable Donations
- Noncash Charitable Donations
- Sign Engagement Letter – We’ll send through our Client Portal.
- QuickBooks (or other accounting software) – You may send or provide access to your file or send the financial reports listed below
- Profit & Loss – Provide total revenue, expenses totaled by category. If applicable, be sure to include business mileage, internet expense, phone expense, home office square footage.
- Balance Sheet – This includes year-end balances for things like cash, receivables, inventory, credit cards, and loans. If you don’t have a complete report, send us the individual items you do have.
- Fixed Assets – Provide purchase date, cost, and description of all new assets over $2,500
- New Clients – If you are new to Dow Tax, please also include the following:
- Prior Year Tax Return
- Organization Documents, such as Certificate/Articles of Organization/Incorporation
- Federal EIN letter issued by the IRS
“Dow Tax & Accounting has handled taxes for my small business for several years now. Every year has been a great experience (and that says a lot given, well, this is taxes!). Eric Dow is kind, professional, and adept with offering pointers. The staff also excels at efficient communications, prompt answers to questions, and general friendly helpfulness. The online portal makes quick work of uploadings, sharing, and signing documents (and saves me from in-person meetings). Highest recommendation!“